MGB & GT Forum

Please Sign In or Register to Search

Bell exhaust system

Posted by Redwind 
Redwind Avatar
Charlie Hopek
So. Cal, USA   usa

Can anyone who has this system comment about it? From what I have found in the archives the fit is great. Wondering about the sound. I have a Tourist Trophy system and hate it. It is loud enough to wake the dead on acceleration. I am looking for a closer to stock sound. The resonator and muffler are a "straight through design" and the pipes are stock diameter. Don't mind losing a few ponies for quieter exhaust.

James D
beach, VA, USA   usa
1978 MG MGB "The Bee"

Redwind Wrote:
Quote: I have a Tourist Trophy system and hate it. It is loud enough to wake the dead on acceleration.

I thought this was the best exhaust system you can buy? Anyway do what I did replace your Trophy set up with the Moss stock muffler and resonator. Still your exhaust won't be whisper quit but just loud enough to get attention on the road. MGB's came from the factory with a beautiful sounding stock exhaust. I don't know why owners want a ugly custom exhaust? that robbs MG from the sound others know and love..smiling smiley

BTW, not downing the Trophy set up as it will likely last longer than the stock set up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-29 12:36 PM by James74.

John Linkosky
Carnegie, PA, USA   usa

I have the bell system and have had it on 2 previous MGBs. It does fit beautifully and is fairly quiet. When it is initially installed, it will not sound as mellow as a stock mild steel exhaust. New Bell systems have a sharper sound than mild steel, however, this seems to change as the exhaust ages, perhaps as the inside gets covered in carbon. I have been very satisfied with the Bell systems. John

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
bernard lanigan
montgomery al, USA   usa
1976 MG MGB "The B"

Redwind Wrote:
Quote: Can anyone who has this system comment about it? From what I have found in the archives the fit is great. Wondering about the sound. I have a Tourist Trophy system and hate it. It is loud enough to wake the dead on acceleration. I am looking for a closer to stock sound. The resonator and muffler are a "straight through design" and the pipes are stock diameter. Don't mind losing a few ponies for quieter exhaust.

Should be real easy to add a resonator.
low cost at a muffler shop also.

chris Avatar
Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   usa

Another option for your tastes would be either the Falcon stainless or the Falcon Big Bore stainless. The regular is basically stock sounding to my ears.
Edit: And their fit is superb!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-29 06:28 PM by chris.

Member Services:
Not just for MG parts. Quality new parts at 15% off of list. No sales tax in Oregon Check out the Vendor Market page.
Milan Klicnik
Frankfurt, Germany   deu
1969 MG MGB

I installed the Bell exhaust this spring and it was really a perfect fit except that the joint between the downpipe and the first muffler seemed to be bit too loose. In fact, the pipe almost wiggled in the muffler so I made an adaptor sleeve from a thin sheet metal and after clamping it is perfectly tight and seals well. And the description by the seller is true:
It has a pleasing sporty tone, but is quiet enough to ensure that you don't fall out with your neighbours.

Both mufflers are a straight through design (glass pack?). I guess the packing will not last forever and the exhaust will gradually get louder.

servo26

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG