Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Original Early MGB Works Hardtop Colors

Posted by mgacarnut 
mgacarnut Avatar
Dan L.
Chagrin Falls, Ohio, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB

"Original MGB" states that, for my Mark 1 MGB, Old English White with Black/white piping interior, factory hardtops were available in red, white, grey, and black.

I don't want a black top, as I'd like to do a color combination that is a little more unique, yet a possible original color for the year of the car.

Color hardtops were available until December of 1966, so a color hardtop is a possibility for my car.

In another section of the same book, it mentions that the tops were available in Old English White, Red, Grey, and Black. If the white is really OEW, it will be difficult for me to match the body of my car, so I'm thinking of a different contrasting color. But if "Original MGB" is not accurate, and the white hardtops were really a bright white ( as you see on rally cars frequently ), the combination of the creamy OEW with a bright white hardtop might be appealing.

Another possibility I'm considering is a grey hardtop. But would it be a Chesea Grey (GR-15) grey, or some other grey, as Chesea grey was discontinued in 1965, a year before my car was built.

Of course, I know that the hardtop was also available in primer, so you could paint it any color you wished to.

Anybody have any idea what colors are meant by red, white, grey, and black for the factory hardtop colors for the early B's? ( Blue was available for Iris Blue cars only).

Does anyone have any good color pictures of OEW cars with different combinations of hardtop colors (besides Black).
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
bleteaches6 Avatar
Lee Orphan
Sumner, WA, USA   usa

Dan- Personally I would paint it what ever color I felt that I wanted to paint it with. You are the one who has to like it, be damned with everyone else unless you are trying for a complete nut and bolt perfect restoration.
mgacarnut Avatar
Dan L.
Chagrin Falls, Ohio, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB

bleteaches6 Wrote:
Quote: Dan- Personally I would paint it what ever color I felt that I wanted to paint it with. You are the one who has to like it, be damned with everyone else unless you are trying for a complete nut and bolt perfect restoration.

Personally, I get pleasure out of keeping my car "relatively stock" as it would have been in 1966/67. Otherwise, I would just drive my Miata, and not have the MG at all. I know to eachl their own.

I even like to listen to my AM radio in the car. Now if I could just find WIXY 1260, and that '60's music on it. It brings me back to my youth!
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
mjamgb Avatar
michael anderson
NORTHERN NEVADA, USA   usa

I have a black and a red. Paint yours the color that floats yer boat!
ekafant Avatar
Emmanuel Kafant
Winston-Salem, N.C., USA   usa

mgacarnut Wrote:
Quote:
Anybody have any idea what colors are meant by red, white, grey, and black for the factory hardtop colors for the early B's?

Dan, I am pretty sure that those are the OEM colors that were available on the whole car. Here is a pic of my 62 with a tartan red top. I would guess that black would be what would have been available on your car by 1967. But, you could paint it body color and it would look very nice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2009 06:50PM by ekafant.

Attachments:
100_1778.jpg (34.3 KB) –
100_1778.jpg

ourmg Avatar
George Heissenberger
Victor, New York, USA   usa
1973 MG MGB MkIII "OUR MG- The Old Girl"
2006 Mini Cooper "Greta's Mini"
2014 BMW MINI Countryman "Little Red"

mgacarnut Wrote:
Quote: Personally, I get pleasure out of keeping my car "relatively stock" as it would have been in 1966/67. Otherwise, I would just drive my Miata, and not have the MG at all. I know to eachl their own.
I even like to listen to my AM radio in the car. Now if I could just find WIXY 1260, and that '60's music on it. It brings me back to my youth!

Well then get yourself a bright white or black hardtop (as that was the most common "stock" color for the period), although I think cream and bright white would look odd. But its your car.

"OUR MG" Glacier White 1973 MGB, owned since 1983. Factory hardtop. Member MG Car Club Western New York Centre
"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin
MGB65B Avatar
Thomas Aczel
Sydney, Kurrajong Hts, Australia   aus
1962 MG MGA MkII
1965 MG MGB "Dad's Little White Car"

Dan, personally I think the hardtops tend to look best in the colour of the car body. Here's a couple of shots of mine.

Attachments:
P8030113.JPG (38.9 KB) –
P8030113.JPG

MGB65B Avatar
Thomas Aczel
Sydney, Kurrajong Hts, Australia   aus
1962 MG MGA MkII
1965 MG MGB "Dad's Little White Car"

By the way, obviously, mines not a works hardtop.

Attachments:
P8030114.JPG (43.2 KB) –
P8030114.JPG

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG