MGB & GT Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

What's the hard part on a brake master cylinder install?

Posted by Caruthers 
Caruthers Avatar
Jim Cardamone
Baltimore MD, USA   usa

I've been reading past posts about swapping out a new master cylinder in my 79 and have read what a pain it is to get in. I'm probably going to go ahead and get a rebuilt one insead of rebuilding it myself - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MGB-MG-Brake-Master-Cylinder-75-76-77-78-79-80-81_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a2103Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem518718fa9eQQitemZ350158912158QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

So it looks pretty simple, a few brake lines, a couple of bolts and a pin or two. The pita that can be bleeding the brakes not withstanding, what's the hard part?
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
rakmgb Avatar
Roger Killin
Nanaimo, BC, Canada   can
1970 MG MGB "Sarah"

Every thing after you take it out of the box.
GSU130 Avatar
Richard Roberts
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom   gbr
1929 Ford HOT ROD A
1979 MG MGB GT "RUBY"

Hard part paying for it £142 UK price your e-bay price is very reasonable.
Mine requires replacement noticed the pedal creeping downwards on very steep hills on a 100mls MG run @ the weekend seals must be worn.

Regards Richard.

. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Kris Slater
Gilbert, AZ, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB

In my experience, bleeding the master cylinder itself is the hardest part (while still not that difficult). Bench bleed it first before you put it in and it will make your job easier. If you are comfortable bleeding brakes then it shouldn't be too difficult.

http://www.phxheli.com/ks/ksmain.html
Robert Kirk
Davenport, Iowa, USA   usa

Jim,
I have no axe to grind one way or another but the item on ebay isn't remotely like the OEM item. Look closely Tank is not tilted, forward outlet has TWO outlets, one quite visable the other down under but the cap is showing.
While this may in fact work I strongly suggest it may not if for no other reason than the 3 outlets in an MGB two outlet system.

For another $21 you can get a bonafide replacement BMC KNOWN to fit your car.

Regards,
Robert Kirk
kirkbrit@yahoo.com
563 323 1017
Moss distributor UK importer
Beat or match any retail/delivered quote

Member Services:
Parts for your classic British and Italian car. 30 years in business.
Caruthers Avatar
Jim Cardamone
Baltimore MD, USA   usa

Robert, that's kinda funny since I looked at my old one and it had all the same stuff as the ebay one, outlets and tank. So it looks like my previous owner used a non OEM part too. Since it's gone at least 8 years (I bought the car in 01) I figure it can't be that bad. Where can I find the one you are talking about for a few bucks more?
Robert Kirk

PM sent.

Does yours have the twin output on the forward (closest to firewall) position? THAT'S what threw me!

Regards,
Robert Kirk
kirkbrit@yahoo.com
563 323 1017

Member Services:
The Wiz Avatar
Mike The Wiz Barnes
STL, MO, USA   usa
1969 MG MGB GT
1971 MG MGB GT "Blueberry"
1979 MG MGB "PopTop"
2000 Ford Ranger SC4x4
2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Kompressor

kirks-auto Wrote:
Quote: Jim,
I have no axe to grind one way or another but the item on ebay isn't remotely like the OEM item. Look closely Tank is not tilted, forward outlet has TWO outlets, one quite visable the other down under but the cap is showing.
While this may in fact work I strongly suggest it may not if for no other reason than the 3 outlets in an MGB two outlet system.
For another $21 you can get a bonafide replacement BMC KNOWN to fit your car.

My 79 has three outlets, the tank on the replacement I bought from Moss is not tilted.

Nulla tenaci invia est via

1971 MGBGT, overdrive, Limey relay and fuse kits, Rick Ingram struts all round, Jeff Schlemmer points distributor, mgccars.com alternator, Basil Adams camshaft and side cover, Eurospec tail lights, 1976 dashboard and console, 1999 Chevy cavalier seats, GM heater motor and fan with Ford 3 speed controller, Ford Merkur/Sierra parcel shelf, cruise control.

1979 B, Olds 215 engine with 1996 Landrover heads, Carter AFB, Camaro T5 gearbox, Limey relay kit, Rick Ingram struts all round, mgccars alternator, Jeff Schlemmer distributor with Petronix, Eurospec tail lights, cruise control, 99 Pontiac Sunfire seats.

1969 MGBGT, Miata seats, late centre console, apart from that it's stock!
Be Coming Avatar
Kelvin Dodd
So. Calif., USA   usa
1957 MG MGA
1957 MG MGA Coupe
1958 MG Magnette
1959 MG MGA
1962 Morgan 4 Seater   → more

Jim. It's a pretty easy job on the late MGB. If you can get ahold of either a pressure or vacuum bleeding rig, it does make the process a lot faster and easier.

There is nothing inherently weird about the process, so get in there and "git her done"!
rrmgb Avatar
robert schau
Reston, VA., USA   usa
1973 MG MGB
1973 MG MGB

There is nothing difficult about it on a '79. Everything is out in the open and pedal box cover comes off easily.
Now, if you have rusted cotter pins to remove, or push rod yokes to repair, thats a different story.
RS

"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time."
Sir Winston Churchill
---------------------------------------------------------------
"It all starts in your mind's eye, then it goes to your heart
and finally to your very soul."
G.S.George PHD
underdog Avatar
Jim Underwood
Pittsburgh, USA   usa
1972 MG MGB
1980 Triumph TR8 "Fabulous Trashwagon"
1999 Chevrolet Corvette "Darth Vader"
1999 Chevrolet S10 "Spare Change"
2003 Jaguar S-Type "Eleanor"

Not spilling fluid on the paint. That is unless it's already been done.smiling smiley
kstevusa Avatar
kelly stevenson
Lwr. Middle Tennessee, USA   usa
1978 MG MGB V8 Conversion "Must-B" ~ For Sale ! ~

Just installed a new TRW brand on my 78 B last week from a member (Basil Adams). the whole new one was less than $180 incl S&H. Basil is a 1st class person. The M/C was top notch and easy to install. You can contact him with a PM and get info.
Gerald O Avatar
Gerald O'Docharty
Wake Forest, North Carolina, USA   usa
1978 MG MGB

That MC depicted in the ebay auction appears to match the one in my '78, which is still the original.
Robert Kirk

Gerald O Wrote:
Quote: That MC depicted in the ebay auction appears to match the one in my '78, which is still the original.

I would just like to know why the front break port has two outlets. Anyone? That is the only thing that "looks" wrong to me. The OEM clearly is illustrated as having a single port for the front and the rear

??????

It wouldn't be the first time I didn't "see" clearly!
;^D

Regards,
Robert Kirk
kirkbrit@yahoo.com
563 323 1017

Member Services:
Gerald O Avatar
Gerald O'Docharty
1978 MG MGB

kirks-auto Wrote:
Quote: I would just like to know why the front break port has two outlets. Anyone? That is the only thing that "looks" wrong to me. The OEM clearly is illustrated as having a single port for the front and the rear
??????
It wouldn't be the first time I didn't "see" clearly!
;^D
There is a separate brake pipe for each side of the car for the fronts.

Robert Kirk

Gerald
Thanks...the later style appears to have only one outlet per axle...THAT is what threw me. I had thought this style was only appropriate to 1975...see you can teach an old dog new tricks!

Regards,
Robert Kirk
kirkbrit@yahoo.com
563 323 1017

Member Services:
Gerald O Avatar
Gerald O'Docharty
1978 MG MGB

This is from the Bentley red book covering 1975-1980:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2009 02:17PM by Gerald O.

Attachments:
EPSN0004.jpg (37.9 KB) –
EPSN0004.jpg

The Wiz Avatar
Mike The Wiz Barnes
STL, MO, USA   usa
1969 MG MGB GT
1971 MG MGB GT "Blueberry"
1979 MG MGB "PopTop"
2000 Ford Ranger SC4x4
2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Kompressor

Gerald O Wrote:
Quote: This is from the Bentley red book covering 1975-1980:
Edited 1 times. Last edit at 06/17/09 12:17PM by Gerald O.

Then the 1975 had a wedge shaped reservoir, 76 onwards had the rectangular reservoir.

Nulla tenaci invia est via

1971 MGBGT, overdrive, Limey relay and fuse kits, Rick Ingram struts all round, Jeff Schlemmer points distributor, mgccars.com alternator, Basil Adams camshaft and side cover, Eurospec tail lights, 1976 dashboard and console, 1999 Chevy cavalier seats, GM heater motor and fan with Ford 3 speed controller, Ford Merkur/Sierra parcel shelf, cruise control.

1979 B, Olds 215 engine with 1996 Landrover heads, Carter AFB, Camaro T5 gearbox, Limey relay kit, Rick Ingram struts all round, mgccars alternator, Jeff Schlemmer distributor with Petronix, Eurospec tail lights, cruise control, 99 Pontiac Sunfire seats.

1969 MGBGT, Miata seats, late centre console, apart from that it's stock!
Gerald O Avatar
Gerald O'Docharty
1978 MG MGB

The Wiz Wrote:
Quote: Then the 1975 had a wedge shaped reservoir, 76 onwards had the rectangular reservoir.
Yes, that is my understanding too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2009 02:31PM by Gerald O.
Dave Parrott
DuBois, PA, USA   usa

I installed a new M/C last night on my 77 B. (I got it from Advance Auto in a few days for 110 bucks - with a 30 core charge. It has three outlets and a square reservoir saved from my original unit) I bench bled it using some instructions on this forum in the archives. I put it in my bench vise (trying to be careful not to clamp the body and damage it) and connected a small plastic hose up to the reservoir from a bleeder fitting in my brake parts toolbox (it was a bleeder fitting from a clutch slave cylinder.) I filled the chamber with fluid, and worked the piston back and forth to expel some of the air and get fluid into each of the three outlets. I didn't get all the bubbles out, but it was pumping fluid at this point, so I put it back on the car to bleed the brakes.

The piece of advice that was on this forum that helped me the most while bleeding the brakes on the car was to get TWO helpers to help with bleeding. One to pump the brakes as usual (my teenage daughter) One to keep the M/C filled with fluid (her boyfriend with the bright red hair) And me to crawl around from wheel to wheel and get the fluid out. Having someone to fill the reservoir so I could just deal with getting bubble out of the lines was a huge help. With the wheels off the car, and all the tools ready (two sizes flare nut wrenches - two sizes clear plastic hose - one Winnie the Pooh juice glass to catch fluid - two different size buckets to set the aforementioned
Winnie the Pooh juice glass on while bleeding) - with all that ready, it took about 15 minutes to bleed the brakes, and about ten minutes to bleed the clutch (I did both.)

I got good pedal on both clutch and brakes, and did a short road test that went well. I'll do further road testing this week but so far so good.

Dave P

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG