MGB & GT Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Side cover gasket leak

Posted by 33037 
Clint Arsenault
Key Largo Fl,, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB "Lil G"

I recently had cause to remove the manifolds off of my 78 B. The rear side cover had what appeared to be a leak in the upper right hand corner. Does this make sense? Is there enough pressure in the internals to make it leak on the high side or should I place my focus higher up? Would it be more likely be the valve cover gasket? Does the manifold bolt furthest back on the engine penetrate the block wall enough to be a source of leakage?
It doesn't seem to be leaking much, but now that I've discovered it it will haunt me. I'm hesitant to replace the gasket for fear of making it worse. From what I've read here these things seem to be a perpetual pain.
Thanks for any advice,
Clint
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Swamperca Avatar
Swamper CA
-, Nor Cal, USA   usa
1968 MG MGC GT
1968 MG MGC GT "Cruiser"
1969 MG MGB GT "Rat"
1969 MG MGC GT "Cee Rod"
1970 MG MGB GT "Widow"   → more

Easy to change, I think you can get the rubber type ones now.
chris Avatar
Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   usa

It could be the valve cover. Regardless, since you have the manifold off, replace the side cover gasket! Now is the time, not after the manifold is back in place.

Roop's MG   – Pendleton, OR USA Quality new parts at 15% off of list. Can kozees at $2 each, black hoodies $25 both plus postage. Check out the Vendor Market page.
Royal Lichter
Chicago, USA   usa

THEY ARE a perpetual pain. It took me a few different gaskets and combos to get it working. I ended up with a cork gasket on the front AND the rear. The late model car is supposed to use the rubber ones---they didn't work for me. The front one was just too big and I couldn't get it to torque down without the thing going into the block, and the rear one was too small and I could not get it to stretch well enough inside of the cover in order to get it on the engine.

Check the actual cover. It could be all misshapen from torquing it too much. If that's the case find a good used one and mess around with gaskets till you find the right one. You only need to torque those things to 5 LB.

OR just buy one of those nice aluminum one piecers they're selling on here. That will really solve your problems.

Cheers!
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Joe Avatar
Joe Gold Member
Joe Ford
Layton, Utah, USA   usa
1971 MG MGB

Clint,

1) They are easy to replace. Just be careful that you do not over torque the bolts. The stock plates are prone to warping if over torqued.

2) Do a search on Basil Adams on this forum. He produces an aluminum replacement for the (prone to leak) stock covers. It is a quality product.
chris Avatar
Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   usa

But if you go with one of the aluminum side covers, you will have to drill and build a breather for it.

Roop's MG   – Pendleton, OR USA Quality new parts at 15% off of list. Can kozees at $2 each, black hoodies $25 both plus postage. Check out the Vendor Market page.
bdev Avatar
Bruno DeVuono
Washingtonville, Orange County NY, USA   usa

John Twist recommends MGA cork gaskets for the side covers. They're thinner than the stock MGB gaskets.

1971 MGB New Racing Green - Dayton Chrome Wires 72 spoke; General Altimax RT 175/70/14; Pertronix; audiovox cruise control; Moto-Lita 15" wood wheel; Limey relays for headlights, high beams and horn; factory hard top; Clark & Clark seat belt guide clips, upgraded alternator.

1970 Australian Morris Mini 1100 (Mini K) with Cooper upgrades - 1275s engine; dual gas tanks; fender flares; ROH Contesta alloy wheels; oil cooler; front disc brakes; brake booster.

2005 Scion TC - daily driver

2005 Toyota Sienna - my wife's ride, and mine when I need to go to Home Depot.
Bob Agar Avatar
Robert Agar
Green Valley, AZ, USA   usa
1953 MG TD "Myrtle Anne"
1974 MG MGB "The Mistress"

Our local shop uses no gaskets, but only silicone sealant. Works on my 74.5...at least for that leak spot.

1974.5 MBG Tourer with Weber 32/36 mod and AC.
1957 MGA 1500 Coupe - Stock and original except paint
1953 MG TD - Original car with no mods
Basil Adams Avatar
About 12 miles from Sears Point, CA, USA   usa

Forgot the picture - trying again below

Basil C. Adams
1956 MGA Coupe (Show Car)
1957 MGA Roadster (Driver)
1958 MGA Coupe (Racecar)
1959 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Roadster (Driver)
MKIII Elva Courier (E1056)
1967 427 Cobra
1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal
A coupla late MGBs
1960 Austin Healy BN7
More Cars than Brains

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2009 11:22PM by Basil Adams.
Basil Adams Avatar

In case you're interested:

Basil C. Adams
1958 MGA Coupe (Racecar)
1967 427 Cobra
1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal
A coupla late MGBs
1960 Austin Healy BN7
More Cars than Brains

Attachments:
Sideplate.jpg (28.7 KB) –
Sideplate.jpg

kerim21 Avatar
Kerim A
Pasadena, California, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB "Katie"

I am not getting paid for this but I was one of the first ones to order this side cover, if I am not mistaken, I started the thread to get Basil to sell them to us... (correct me if I am wrong Basil) Anyway, it is awesome, no more leaks from side plates, no need to worry about the over torque on them, the only thing is that you are going to have to get it vented (easy and cheap thing to get done).

Kerim

"MODIFIER"

77 MG B (Milano Red)
4 speed with OD
HS4s TWIN CARB Conversion
96 Amp Alternator
Solid State Voltage regulator
Petronix Distributor and coil
Electronic Fuel pump
Xenon halogen headlights - (conversion)
Minilite Alloy Wheels
Fiat Spyder 124 Side Markers (Low profile)
Upholstered Dashboard
Advanced Auto Wire Harness
custom Exhaust and headers
Basil Adams Avatar

Indeed you are the one that volunteered me. I said I had made one for the racecar and the next thing I knew you posted that i was going to make them for everyone :-) I couldn't let that chalenge go unanswered and I'm happy to say that there haven't been any complaints yet (and they're cheap :-)

Basil C. Adams
1958 MGA Coupe (Racecar)
1967 427 Cobra
1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal
A coupla late MGBs
1960 Austin Healy BN7
More Cars than Brains
Starbuck Avatar
Monte johnjulio
Greensboro, North Carolina, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB GT "Toaster"
1974 MG MGB "The B"
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Shitfire"

Basil, if you made those with a breather tube I'd buy two!

Okay, no I wouldn't. But I'd certainly buy one faster than you can say (insert difficult word or phrase here)
smiling smiley
Basil Adams Avatar

Monte, I sent you a PM.

Basil C. Adams
1958 MGA Coupe (Racecar)
1967 427 Cobra
1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal
A coupla late MGBs
1960 Austin Healy BN7
More Cars than Brains

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Adjust Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save