MGB & GT Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

Is our 1800 engine/other parts used in anything else?

Posted by Les Brown 
Les Brown Avatar
Wirral, United Kingdom   gbr
1972 MG MGB GT "Brum"
1972 MG MGB GT

Just a thought,one thing I have noticed when looking for spares that as soon as MG comes in to the heading the price goes up.Apart from body panels I'm quite sure that brakes,clutch,gearbox etc were used on other models.Girling and lockhead didn't just make for the B,neither did Lucas.So that made me think a list would be a good idea and with the permission of Skye put this list in the Library.

It could help with our searches on Ebay,junkyards etc.For example a headlamp rim for a MG I think is the same as a mini,Brake master could be the same for the austin 1100 etc, etc.

What do ya think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2009 09:24AM by Les Brown.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
PAMidget Avatar
Thomas Reimel
Philadelphia, USA   usa

A cross-reference is a great idea. A quick google search shows some, but the info is so scattered, it owuld be good to have it here.
bobmunch Avatar
Bob Muenchausen
PC, Oregon, USA   usa
1968 MG MGB GT "Traveler"

There is a book, Porter, Lindsay (1985). BMC and Leyland B-Series Engine Data. Osprey. ISBN 0-85045-597-9. that has a list of the various cars and trucks that the B-series engine was used in. I am not sure it is still in print, but you may be able to find it used.

Not all versions of this engine were 1800 (1798cc), but it does separate out the various versions of the engine and what cars/trucks they were used in. As a very general guide, this size B-series engine was generally only used after 1962.

these sites also have some info that may be helpful:

http://www.motorbase.com/engine/by-id/2/

http://wapedia.mobi/en/BMC_B-Series_engine

"All that my contradictory experiences demonstrate, sometimes, is that things and materials don't always follow the course of our commonly accepted thinking about them, but end up sometimes besting our knowledge of them."

SU Carb setup instructions ~ You don't need smog gear to need/use these factory instructions.
>>>https://www.dropbox.com/s/dgjgbxszv1h22hy/MG%20EMISSIONS%20MANUAL.pdf

MGB GT cutaway car photos can be found here >>> http://www.cibolas7.net/resources/cutaway.htm

A thorough guide to rubber rotary seals as used on your crank, axles, etc >>> http://www.rlhudson.com/Shaft%20Seal%20Book/index.html
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Derek up North Avatar
Derek Nicholson
Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada   can
1961 MG MGA

A noble idea, but the MGB is by far the only LBC likely to be found on this side of the Atlantic. Marinas, Minis, 1800s and 1100s are rare, Sherpas were never imported. I fear it'll be a pretty short list, at least over here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2009 07:42AM by Derek up North.
Les Brown Avatar
1972 MG MGB GT "Brum"
1972 MG MGB GT

PAMidget Wrote:
Quote: A cross-reference is a great idea. A quick google search shows some, but the info is so scattered, it owuld be good to have it here.

The other day I was asking about a part for my brakes,turns out its used on a ford,moss $400 ebay £5.We need to know this information and as you say have it in one place.The cross reference could have main headings such as engine ,electrics etc and sub headings for what part ,cam shaft etc ,then car Maxi,landcrab etc with another for year used.

It can't be 100% acurate,thats impossable so a disclaimer would have to be thought up for that,but its an aid and should be down to the indevidual to assess correctness.

Les Brown Avatar
1972 MG MGB GT "Brum"
1972 MG MGB GT

Derek up North Wrote:
Quote: A noble idea, but the MGB is by far the only LBC likely to be found on this side of the Atlantic. Marinas, Minis, 1800s and 1100s are rare, Sherpas were never imported. I fear it'll be a pretty short list, at least over here.
Edited 1 times. Last edit at 04/03/09 05:42AM by Derek up North.

Have you never bought from Ebay UK?

Derek up North Avatar
Derek Nicholson
1961 MG MGA

Shipping costs from the UK usually eat up much of the savings.

I bought 3 Minis off Ebay UK. smiling smiley
PAMidget Avatar
Thomas Reimel
Philadelphia, USA   usa

A very short list indeed, for only b-series engines as the title suggests(Elva Courier, anyone)--but the actual post talks about other stuff, and I think there's plenty of scope for an interchange list--I was shocked to learn that a Spitfire starter would bolt into a TD.

Things like the Hollander foreign interchange manual show up on eBay, but it would be nice to have a list here.
Scott Avatar
Scott Wheatley
Ladner, BC, Canada   can
1972 MG MGB

I heard once they used our engines in tractors.

Scott Wheatley
72 Black Tulip
pmittler Avatar
Peter Mittler
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada   can
1979 MG Trailer Conversion "ITCHTAIL"
1980 MG MGB "MY MG ITCH"
1997 MG MGF "EFfie"

The input shaft bearing from our gear boxes is an SKF part number that x-refs to many other gear boxes including some Fords. I tried to souce it from a bearing supplier and they wanted $46 - I got it from a Moss dealer for $42.
Derek up North Avatar
Derek Nicholson
1961 MG MGA

Scott Wrote:
Quote: I heard once they used our engines in tractors.
Standard (Triumph) here. smiling smiley

Attachments:
Ferguson TEA (1955).JPG (28.7 KB) –
Ferguson TEA (1955).JPG

ddubois Avatar
Dave DuBois
Bremerton, WA, USA   usa

Les - the list of other vehicles using the B series engine is quite long for your side of the pond. If you contact Neil Cairns (e-mail address can be found on the Y type register of the MGCC web site), he wrote a booklet on that very subject, that he ued to e-mail free to whoever wanted it.
Cheers,

Dave DuBois
1953 MGTD
1966 MGB
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/

Member Services:
SU fuel pump restoration and conversion to solid state. Information and technical articles on SU fuel pumps.
Derek up North Avatar
Derek Nicholson
1961 MG MGA

Not the 1800 B-Series.
Ralph 7h Avatar
Ralph Siebenhaar
Viersen, Germany   deu

Les,

this engine was used on BMC 1800 RWD saloons up to the Marina but then a Triumph gearbox was installed, on the Landcrap (Austin Maxi) FWD cars, on Hanomag and Mercedes 207 commercials, as a 1500/1600 unit the Nash (Metropolitan) made use of it and even Diesel derivates were sold as Leyland Commander 1.5 litre/40 HP boat engines that shared the construction layout of the B-Series engine too.
Some pics can be found here: http://www.upgrades4mgs.co.uk

Ralph

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2009 12:15PM by Ralph 7h.
Les Brown Avatar
1972 MG MGB GT "Brum"
1972 MG MGB GT

so shall we scrap he idea of a a cross-reference idea,is the info already there? it was just a thought,a database would be quite easy to set up if we could get the experts on line with the info.If I was to ask what the 25d fits, all would say the MGB early and nothing else.

After really thinking about this one I think with the size of this forum its a major oppertunity missed,theres a lot of experts here,more than any other forum I've seen on the MGB.
Kent -In-KC Avatar
Kent Hartland
Kansas City, MO, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB

Les,

Last week I lobbied for a knowledge base that would organize information like this. The idea was met with lukewarm reception. Many folks here think there's too many diverging opinions about any given subject and that it would require a 'KB master' or masters to maintain it. Yes, that's a given.

The same things apply to motorcycles, trucks, tractors, firearms, really anything. Many other forums nonetheless maintain KBs and the members seem to find them invaluable.

The KB is perhaps the centerpiece of the VStar 1100 forum I haunt and has saved me countless hours not only repairing and modifying my bike but running around the net trying to find answers and ideas to try.

Where else can you go at midnight to immediately find the top ten ways to replace your muffler bearing? That's what a KB does. Permanent organized storage of high value, reasonably vetted information about a particular subject, including diverging opinions and alternative approaches.

As Geronimo hisself said: "One KB posting equals a thousand forum posts." And he should know.

I agree and support your suggestion, for what that's worth.

Derek up North Avatar
Derek Nicholson
1961 MG MGA

"One 'Search' also often equals a thousand forum posts." smiling smiley
astrojtson Avatar
Timothy Ritchie
Connecticut, USA   usa

Try this

Attachments:
DSCN0743.JPG (81.9 KB) –
DSCN0743.JPG

DSCN0741.JPG (77.5 KB) –
Please Sign In or Register to view this photo
BManBrian67 Avatar
Brian M
HB, California, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB MkI "MI MG"
2000 Porsche Boxster S "Got Box S"

what's really weird? many times shipping costs from the UK to California, are cheaper than shipping costs from UK to Canada.

So, buying from eBay UK, can work well for us.

while the list of the cars that were exported to our neck of the woods may be MUCh smaller, the shipping costs aren;t always prohibitive.

The costs savings can far outweigh shipping - OCCASIONALLY

Good Idea Les,

Can you head it up???? ahahhahahahahahaha

B
Rictus Avatar
Marc Tyler
Sisterdale,Texas, USA   usa
1965 Datsun L-320 truck "Domino"
1968 MG MGB GT "Incontinentia."
1970 Datsun SPL-311 Roadster

Derek up North Wrote:
Quote: Scott Wrote:Quote:
I heard once they used our engines in tractors.
Standard (Triumph) here.

That looks like a Ford Tractor, not a Triumph, er, Massey-Furgeson smiling smiley

The Nissan J-series engine is a licensed copy of the BMC B series engine, though there are some differences, quite a few parts interchange. They were used in cars, and trucks in the 1960s, and can still be found in forklifts. You can find J-15 parts at motorpower inc. I know head gaskets, manifold gaskets and manifolds exchange, the heads are near identical, except for smaller valves. Less sure about bottom end.

Now whether this is of any use, who's to say smiling smiley

http://www.motorpowerinc.com/pricing/j15.html

“Believing in progress does not mean believing that any progress has yet been made. ”
Franz Kafka

1968 MGBGT
1970 Datsun 1600 Roadster
1965 Datsun L-320 Truck

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG