Save up to 15% with Moss Motors' Buy More, Save More Sale
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

malargent Avatar
Mark Largent
Holt, Michigan, USA   usa

Before summer hits I plan to pull my drive shaft, have it balanced, and install new u-joints. I've got a few questions:

1) I notice that Moss lists two different u-joints - the Hardy-Spicer one for $21 and the "aftermarket" one for $11. Is it worth the extra $20 to buy the Hardy-Spicer ones?

2) How the heck do I find someone to balance my drive shaft (no perverted jokes, please)? I looked through the yellow pages and can't find anything.

3) Are there any "might-as-wells" that I should be doing when I pull the driveshaft?

Thanks,
Mark

Ryan Reis Avatar
Beatrice, NE, USA   usa
1968 MG MGB

Look for a heavy truck driveline shop. For example, around here we have Inland Truck. They service driveline (transmission, driveshaft, rearends) for a lot of heavy truck customers. They also do most of the local hotrod stuff. Just now I'm having them build a driveshaft for my v8 conversion. They had the slip yoke for a t5 and the 1310 u-joint flange for a ford 8.8 rear axle in stock.

I don't know if it's necessary, but for $20 I'd buy the spicer u-joints because then you KNOW they're good. A driveshaft is one of those things that a little extra piece of mind goes a long way.

edit: find the driveline shop first, they probably have the spicer u-joints in stock for less than you can get them from Moss.

Ryan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-02 08:45 AM by Ryan Reis.

bleteaches6 Avatar
Lee Orphan
Sumner, WA, USA   usa

Spend the money and get a good u-joint.

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Cinimod Avatar
Dominic McCamish
Elizabethtown, Ky, USA   usa
1975 MG MGB "Zach"

I had a Fisher Auto Parts machine shop balance my drive shaft. They also did my cylinder head.
I got the Hardy-Spicer U-Joint for the back one and it failed real quick. I think it was because I did something wrong, though. Everyone including John Twist seem to swear by them, so I would think it's worth it.

xof Avatar
xof
Collin F
Norfolk, VA, USA   usa
1976 MG MGB "Augustus Fink-Nottle"

As someone who has had a driveshaft fail on them, it's worthwhile to spend an extra few bucks. Seeing the speedometer at 40 while the car was most definitely at a standstill is a funny experience, though.

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
scottydawg Avatar
Scott B
MTP, SC, USA   usa
1973 MG MGB

Can a driveshaft shop put a new yoke on the driveshaft or do I need a whole new one.

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."

"Keep in mind that free advice can frequently be worth less than you pay for it."

Ryan Reis Avatar
Beatrice, NE, USA   usa
1968 MG MGB

Scott,

I'm not exactly sure of your question, but a driveshaft shop can re-tube a driveshaft and reuse the yokes. My friend (also a 'b owner) that works at Inland Truck likes to re-tube mgb driveshafts because he says most of them don't balance very well in stock form.

Ryan

carlheideman
USA   usa

I'll put a shameless plug in here if that's okay. We send driveshafts out to our driveline shop about 10 at a time and keep rebuilt/exchange units in stock for $125 plus shipping and exchange. They've got new Hardy Spicer U Joints, are balanced, and have a quickie coat of black paint on them.

We started doing this because we'd had enough customer cars come in with screwed up driveshafts from years of abuse that it was a faster/better way to service U-joints. We figure MGBs can use a driveshaft balance every 30-40 years in addition to the new U-joints.

If you're interested, contact Alan at eclecticalan@gmail.com.

I hope it's okay to plug these...if not I'll take this down.

--Carl

http://www.eclecticmotorworks.com/

crustyoldfe Avatar
Bob .
At, Large, Canada   can

How does a drive shaft go out of balance? Are they not balanced particularly well to begin with?
I can see that something stuck to the drive shaft, mud, etc, could present a problem but that should be easily solved with a strong spray from a garden hose.

They are a fairly small diameter, slow turning affair and therefore shouldn't produce any significant centrifugal forces.

A race car? Sure. The rotational speed could present vibrations as would a truck with a large diameter tube.
But I must admit...this particular bit of tuning has me stumped as to it's effectiveness on such a low performer as an MGB...cb or RB.

Bob

scottydawg Avatar
Scott B
MTP, SC, USA   usa
1973 MG MGB

I think that my driveshaft needs a new rear yoke, it looks like it's been brazed back together after a nasty break.

As for balancing a driveshaft, you have to remember that it spins at least 3x the speed of the wheels due to the reduction gear in the differential. It has to be perfectly balanced. Something as inconsequential as a 1 oz. weight dropping off or a minor ding to the shaft tube can throw off the balance enough to set up a rhythmic vibration that will wreck the u-joints.

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."

"Keep in mind that free advice can frequently be worth less than you pay for it."

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG