MGB & GT Forum

Please Sign In or Register to Search

oil separator for Basil's tappet chest cover

Posted by mac townsend 
mac townsend Avatar
Fairfield, CA, USA   usa

I am contemplating different ways to incorporate an oil separator in the venting of Basil Adams' one-piece tappet (chest) cover. I'd like to bounce the current idea off some of the folks hereabouts.

I have three similar approaches in mind:

1) rigging an internal chamber (possibly a piece of square or oval tubing, drilled with lots of holes) filled with new fuel cell foam (the orange stuff) and then vent from this chamber to the outside with a fitting of some sort....likely threaded (I don't have alloy welding skills). I wonder about stability of the foam in oil/air and about effectiveness id reducing amount of oil in expelled air.

2) Same sort of thing but using pieces of metal pot scrubbers (not steel wool) as the medium. I wonder about durability of the medium, specifically if I an untangle strands w/o cutting which i fear would leave loose ends.

3) Same sort of thing but filled with a rolled up piece of stainless steel (or brass) mesh (50x50 to 100x100 mesh) seems a good choice but?

the question in my mind is first, will the foam do the job? I don't have to buy anything then. The other options are only maybe $10-15 more expensive, so that's not a major deal.

anyone with specific experience with fuel cell foam in an oil-air environment? I've heard of it being used in wet sumps as baffling, etc.

Anyone else have other ideas on building a separator for this chest cover?

I'd likely vent from there to a catch can of some sort (at least temporarily) so any oil lost can be monitored and returned to the engine.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed
MGB Tips and Tricks: www.mgrescue.com

kerim21 Avatar
Kerim A
Pasadena, California, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB "Katie"

I have been bouncind this idea myself, I haven't installed mine because I need to come up with a solution to that problem. I am interested to see what the MG gurus would think about that...

Kerim

"MODIFIER"

77 MG B (Milano Red)
4 speed with OD
HS4s TWIN CARB Conversion
96 Amp Alternator
Solid State Voltage regulator
Petronix Distributor and coil
Electronic Fuel pump
Xenon halogen headlights - (conversion)
Minilite Alloy Wheels
Fiat Spyder 124 Side Markers (Low profile)
Upholstered Dashboard
Advanced Auto Wire Harness
custom Exhaust and headers

mac townsend Avatar
Fairfield, CA, USA   usa

well, if I come up with one I'll make two <G> I like the foam because if a piece gets "lost" the potential damage is less. I just wonder about it's ability to capture the droplets from the air.

SUs, Datsun 5-speed

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
kerim21 Avatar
Kerim A
Pasadena, California, USA   usa
1977 MG MGB "Katie"

I personally was thinking of installing a small container on the side of the bay, something like the carbon canisters on the later Bs, with a hose going in and another one going out to the carb. I figured that any droplets that are able to escape into the hose, would be captured in the canister. This would need periodical cleaning/emptying. Just what I thought....

Kerim

"MODIFIER"

77 MG B (Milano Red)
4 speed with OD
HS4s TWIN CARB Conversion
96 Amp Alternator
Solid State Voltage regulator
Petronix Distributor and coil
Electronic Fuel pump
Xenon halogen headlights - (conversion)
Minilite Alloy Wheels
Fiat Spyder 124 Side Markers (Low profile)
Upholstered Dashboard
Advanced Auto Wire Harness
custom Exhaust and headers

brownie2 Avatar
Morris D 1977 MGB
Hiawassee, GA, USA   usa

I've thought about a spark arresting screen out of a 2 cycle engine. Stihl uses a cone shaped screen. I would put it on the exit end of the breather pipe.
I've also wondered if it is even needed?

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
mac townsend Avatar
Fairfield, CA, USA   usa

brownie2 Wrote:
Quote: I've thought about a spark arresting screen out of a 2 cycle engine. Stihl uses a cone shaped screen. I would put it on the exit end of the breather pipe.
I've also wondered if it is even needed?

the reason I think an internal ("keep it from getting out"winking smiley separator rather than an external ("pour it back in"winking smiley is that I think it is better to keep as much as possible in the engine rather than pouring it back from time to time.

otherwise a simple catch can would do the job with far less worries.

but if you are catching and returning a pint every couple hundred miles,,,I don't think that's an objective we want to attain. Better to keep the stuff in the lump to begin with, eh?

so what's the best option to do that?

SUs, Datsun 5-speed

brownie2 Avatar
Morris D 1977 MGB
Hiawassee, GA, USA   usa

I don't like the catch can idea either. Are you familiar with the Stihl brand exhaust screens. They simply slip in the end of the muffler on Stihl 2 cycle engines.

If your going to thread in a breather tube, how about making a simple in line threaded tubular pot scrubber holder. It could have a finer screen on the downstream side to stop any possible "broken pieces". This way it would be easily removed and cleaned.

Please keep the ideas coming.

GeeMoo Avatar
Greg M
North of the City, Ontario, Canada   can
1970 MG MGB
1972 MG MGB GT

I'm going to go with an option Hap mentioned in one of the earlier venting threads. Using the blanking plate covering the mechanical fuel pump opening on the lower left side of the block.
Hoping that a pipe from down there up to a small K&N at valve cover level will be long enough to allow oil/condensate to drain back down without a mesh.

1970 MGB Black Label OD, APT VP12, Fidanza Flywheel, Flowspeed Head, Hilton AUD405 HS4 SU's, Schlemmerized Distributor, Pertronix Ignition, Saturn Alternator, 15" Dayton Wire Wheels, Falken ZE 912's, Falcon Big Bore
1972 MGB GT Blue Label OD, APT VP14, Fidanza Flywheel, Flowspeed Head, HIF SU's, Schlemmerized Distributor, Points Ignition, Saturn Alternator, 15" GC360 Wheels, Falken ZE-950s, Peco Exhaust, Frontline Costello front valance

mac townsend Avatar
Fairfield, CA, USA   usa

to me the idea is to keep it in the engine. not to collect it elsewhere and reinsert it. an external (outside of the tappet chest itself) would seem to defeat that unless you had it high up enough to drain back...and there's not lots of room to do that.

SUs, Datsun 5-speed

Rich in Vancouver Avatar
Rich McKie
Steveston, B.C., Canada   can
1997 MG MGF "VVC"

What about adapting a PC Valve filter like the ones that fit into the air filter canisters on American cars? They generally contain a nylon mesh to separate oil from air.

Rich

mowog70 Avatar
michael long
lima, west central ohio, USA   usa
1970 MG MGB

here is a good looking scooter vent setup.

Attachments:
DSCN4070.jpg    69.5 KB
DSCN4070.jpg

DSCN40701.jpg    54.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Speedracer Avatar
Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"

YOu don't need any screen, mesh or anthing like like, forget te way the factory did it, you don't haveto coipy what was already a bad idea. On the race cars we alot of the time don't evcen baffle crankcase vet tube, just make sure the line they are attached to go in a upward direction, so if any oilsplash does fid it way there it drains back, i ran clear hose on the car so I could see this, it wnet to oil catch tank required by the rules, I'd say after 3 years of racing this car at 8000 rpm, I might have had a 1/2 pounce of oil in my catch tank, and believe me at 8000 you're going to get alot more oil vapor than you ever would on the street. I mde a very simple baffle for Frenck Mooring 1 piece cover, just a piece of the aluminum tubing that I made te vent tube out of trimmed down laid over the hole and welded, that crankcase gases still can get out along the side of the baffle but direct spash into the vent tube hole was blocked. On the street engine with the strock covers, i yank that dirty steel wool crap out throw in the garbage can and never even think about repalcing it, and then run a small K&N filter on the tube end, in three years of running this in a gutted out stock fornt cover, the K&N filter has zero signs of oil collecting on, as clean as the day i bought it. The only time this is issue is when you have a smoking engine and the rings are worn out, which at that point you have bigger problems than spewing oil out of the vent tube. Oil not gtting pour into the tube, just the occasional spalsh droplet, and it will drain back as soon as it hits the tube, you can put nothing there as a baffle, and as lng as your tube goes upward you should be find, rember there are drain back holes in the block there bsdes the lifter bores, so it's not the oil is just hanging out there.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
Performance Street/Race engines- modified heads, and DIY engine rebuilt kits
New alloy wheels options for MGBs, see vendors forum for details.
http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?68,2657584
Be sure to check my engine rebuild kit thread in the Vendors forum for weekly tips. http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?68,1828263

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
Limey Avatar
Eric Marshall
Pentwater, Michigan, USA   usa

I think Hap has the best idea - some method to prevent direct splashing into the vent is all you need. A word of caution about using an external "collector" - they are also excellent at condensing water vapor and returning it to the crankcase! Not a very good idea!

Eric and Mary
us-marshalls.net
1974 MGB, 1971 Piper Cherokee, 1971 MGBGT
..... and 1978 Kawasaki KZ650-B2

Member Services:
Headlight relay kits, replacement fuse box kits, headlight alarm, overdrive "reminder", solid state voltage stabilizers and other useful "bits" to help keep your car running at its best.
3885KOONTZ Avatar
Dave Budden
Sandy, Ut, USA   usa
1973 MG MGB GT "PROZAC"
1992 Ford Full Size Bronco "YRUUGLY"
2005 Dodge Neon

From my miss spent youth, how about just souldering a brass screen from a hash pipe across a copper pipe...Oh maybe I shouldn't have taken that last hit off the bong....winking smiley

"Reason is not automatic, those who deny it, cannot be conquered by it." Ayn Rand

"I am a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." Red Green

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.
Mark Twain

The American businessmen, as a class, have demonstrated the greatest productive genius and the most spectacular achievements ever recorded in the economic history of mankind. What reward did they receive from our culture and its intellectuals? The position of a hated, persecuted minority. The position of a scapegoat for the evils of the bureaucrats. Ayn Rand

Speedracer Avatar
Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   usa
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"

3885KOONTZ Wrote:
Quote: From my miss spent youth, how about just souldering a brass screen from a hash pipe across a copper pipe...Oh maybe I shouldn't have taken that last hit off the bong....

But that would a waste of good mesh form your hash pipe smiling smiley Mesh works OK, not geart, it tend to get clgged with oil splash while the engine is running, a shallow baffle wuld be better, something that deflects direct oil splash but lets plenty of air/gases in around the sides. I rahter have nothing (which with a upward hose or pip is not a big deal, the engine is not pumping the oil upward) that something that would clog up easily and not let the gases get out. Guys, really nothing with a upward pipe or hose with enogh OD (the stock tube was 1/2 ID would be fine, all it will do is spalsh into the bottom opening and drain right back down.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
Performance Street/Race engines- modified heads, and DIY engine rebuilt kits
New alloy wheels options for MGBs, see vendors forum for details.
http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?68,2657584
Be sure to check my engine rebuild kit thread in the Vendors forum for weekly tips. http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?68,1828263

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG