I see I've missed over a month. Well, I did manage to get a lot done.
1. Dismantled rear end on red car and cleaned components.
2. Dropped entire rear end with springs as a unit on green car.
3. Painted inside wheel wells so they would be green.
4. Installed cleaned-up rear with new lever shocks, new bushings and new spring pads onto green car.
5. Installed untouched rear suspension from green car onto red car.
Result: each car has 4 matching wheels, and is sitting on the ground.
But the next weekend I had to jack it back up again, since I hadn't hooked up the handbrake cable. Then I couldn't find the screws for the handbrake assembly, had to order some. Moss doesn't list them, but I determined that they are the same as the door hinge to body screws. I also installed the steering column, which is a bit of a fiddle (trying to align that floppy u-joint which is right against the firewall).
For a change of pace, I thought I would work on interior trim next. I had some of the footwell panels in, and the front mats were laying there, but there is a long list of bits to install, including:
Carpet: rear wheel arches, shelf, tunnel, rear floors
Panels: rear quarters, rear bulkhead, outer footwell (doors need to wait for new vent window rubbers, to be installed later), rear cockpit surround
Seals: door edge
Misc. hardware: snaps, studs, brackets, too many to count
I started by laying some foil-backed insulation on the floors, and wrapping the tunnel. Then I remembered to hang the accelerator pedal.
Next I attacked the rear wheel arches. These are a royal pain. I bought the Moss "budget" carpet kit because (1) I wasn't planning on using the sill carpet or the front floor carpet, and (2) I knew I would have to cut up the tunnel carpet anyway because of the transmission swap. But these pieces had no chance in hell of fitting. I would up making a series of cuts to allow the carpet to wrap around the compound curves. I finally got that sorted out, and thought the tunnel carpet couldn't be any worse. But the difference is, I didn't want to glue down any of the tunnel carpet. It's a wear item, it sun fades, and it gets wet frequently from dripping through the tonneau zipper. So that meant creating a perfectly tailored item that could be attached with snaps. I think I figured out how to do this after cutting it into two pieces — one for the simple, straight rear section, and one for the super-complicated custom front section. I have the rear in and snapped down, but the front i had to leave half-down as it got too dark and cold. I hope to be able to wind it up tomorrow.
The other reason it needs to be removable is that I want to remove the top cover when I install the engine and transmission — it is the easiest way to hook up the OD and reverse lamp wires. It also wants to stay off until I have tested them.
Anyway, this certainly took less time to describe than it took to accomplish.
The old driver minus "working" rear end.
It needed a little clean-up after 30-odd years.
Looks pretty nice. Not painting it...
Crusty steel-wheel setup will get bolted right into the old car.
Had a problem getting the rebound straps fitted; had to add some weight.