My garage highlight over the last two weeks was the arrival of my 16 drawer tool chest (see photos). This replaced the incredibly tiny and lame arrangement also pictured, plus half a dozen other small toolboxes which were scattered around so that I could never find anything.
The problem is that I didn't really have any free floor space to speak of, so this large object is rather in the way, no matter where I put it. There are particle board shelves on the wall behind — I think I am going to saw off the last foot or so of every shelf (except the top one) in order to make space to push this thing back out of the doorway. The other side of the shop, with the workbench, is pretty much hopeless — it's crammed end to end — there is no way to make any space.
But I spent several hours loading the drawers, which was fun. Still have the two bottom drawers to fill.
Otherwise, let's see what I did on the MG... I pulled the gas tank from the red car. I was intending to use it, so I was annoyed that the top of it was so rusty. The one off the new car looked a lot better on the outside (much lower miles), so I pulled the fuel sender off of both of them to get a peak at the inside. Unsurprisingly, the inside of the tank from the red car (a regular driver for 29 years) was pristine. The inside of the other tank was entirely rust colored, and so when I poured in some fresh gas and swooshed it around, when I poured it out it looked like red Mississippi mud. It left deposits half an inch deep in my drain pan. Uh, no. I guess I'm going to wire brush the other tank and give it a shot of paint. I also have a photo of this, though the dappled sun makes it hard to read. I really only shot it to record the pattern of packing strips.
My new front lever shocks arrived from Peter C, so I had to scrub off the old ones so I could return them as cores. Had a bit of bother knocking out the bolts that go through the top of the spindle — I sort of expected those to be included with the new shocks, but apparently not.
In preparation for putting the front suspension back together, I took it further apart (funny how that works). Pulled the old disks, which were pretty rusty from sitting (they would need turning at this point) because I bought a set of slotted cross drilled rotors when Moss had a sale. I cleaned up the hubs but can't see any reason to paint them. One, they don't show, and two, they had good bearings so I can't clean them very thoroughly — I don't want to have to completely repack them and install new seals. I did remove the dust shields, prepped them and give them a shot of the black engine paint I used on the calipers. I will be scrubbing the spindles and lower arms on the car — I think I have taken disassembly far enough for parts I am planning to reuse.
16 drawer chest from Harbor Freight. My initial impulse was to buy one at a yard sale or flea market, but I have no transport capable of carrying such a beast. HF delivers.
Previous 3 drawer Craftsman chest and found-on-the-curb cart.