Back in April of 2012 I acquired this car, believing it was in better shape than it was. Body seemed pretty good, floors were still carpeted and seemed pretty solid, and the underside seemed 'surface' rusty from being in a barn.
Got it home, began disassembling, and found out the truths.
After removing the seats and carpeting, I discovered that the floors were cut out, replaced with aluminum road signs, and then fiberglassed in place. I also discovered a line of large bolts through the passenger side inner sill - holding pressure treated 2x4's that were the new sill and frame there.
So, I set about removing the rusty floors, drilling out hundreds of rivets, in addition to the 'regular' disassembly of a car for restoration.
Since the spring shackles were badly rusted as well and needed to be replaced, I ended up having to remove the rear axle and leaf springs. I have the car on a lift, so I put the rear of the car up on jack stands, and last night removed the axle and springs. I'll update this journal with descriptions and work done already over the summer, and then try and keep it up as work progressover the fall and winter.
Just a little surface rust
Where the jack stands are located
That battery box needs a little work...
Note the missing floorboards, battery box, etc
On the plus side, tube shock conversion looks good...
This past weekend we started putting pieces back *on* the GT. After I had bent some replacement brake lines, my son Tim and I installed the rear rain gutter trim, rear quarter windows bottom trim, rubber seals, and the glass and finishers. I did the passenger side, Tim did the driver. Jeremy ended up connecting the gas tank filler tube.
After weeks of sanding, priming, painting, sanding, over and over and over, we buffed the car this weekend. Tim and Jer and I sanded and buffed, and it looks pretty good. We'll check it out and clean it up some more, but we're getting close to putting pieces back on.
What a busy Father's Day weekend. On Saturday I masked off and painted the spoiler on my daughter's new (to her) 1997 Camry. The paint had been washed away - sanding and a rattle can from paintscratch.com
I then installed my returned Speedometer from Nisonger - it's not calibrated for my 1280 TPM overdrive so far as speed is concerned, but the mileage will be 28% fast.
Since it was a warm day I ended up shooting the 64 and 79 MGB's with WaxOyl - Sills, behind the mud guards, and in the doglegs. Hopefully it will hold the tinworm at bay.
Finally, on Sunday, father's day, I decided it was time to take a shot at painting the GT. After Tim, Jeremy, and I did a final batch on wet sanding and cleaning, I began to paint the car. Coverage was pretty good, not too much orange peel, but lots of runs and drips on the sides - Not sure how I did it, but they're there. So, I see more and more sanding in my future, but the car it all one color, and needs some work before I start to reassemble.