Was getting tired of accidently overfilling the radiator and having the resulting fluid expansion just land on the road, garage floor etc.
So I started looking for an overflow tank to use, trying to find this off an existing vehicle is tough as there are so many different shapes and sizes. Off to the local stores Canadian Tire and Napa etc, no go there at all, the only thing was Napa had a generic one but it was huge and just would not fit under the hood. Hmm what to do, luckily we have another store here that I was not aware off called Baker Supply and low and behold a generic tank just the right size and shape.
As you can see in the first pic its a neat little package.
It easily mounted next to the tank and I ran the tubing, still need to add an overflow tube from the top hose nipple but at least its in, only problem I have found is once the hot fluid got into the tubing it kinked at one spot. Going to have to re route to elimiate this for sure.
At least now I can fully fill the rad all the way to the top and any expansion will go into the overflow tank and once it cools will suck it back in.
My current mirrors(1)were getting really pitted and anyway no matter what I did I could not get them adjusted so I could see properly behind me. I had seen some posts of people putting Miata mirrors on but that was expensive. So I found some after market ones online for about $60 and decided to give it a go.
First job was to prep them (2)for body colour paint, I fastened them to a piece of wood so that I could spray them easily (3).
Next job was to remove the interior door panels and access inside the door and unscrew the old mirrors which I had put on with machine screws, nuts and spring washers.
That done I carefully figured out where I needed to drill holes to mount the new mirrors, (4) I could ues the rear most hole of the existing mirror so only need one drilled at the front.
I wanted to provide abit more support on the interior side of the door so I grabbed a length of bar that I had on hand, about 6 inches long for each side. The original plan was to drill and tap them (5) however I soon discovered that as I was going to use the wedge shaped rubber mountings they would not line up. So I ended up drilling them out and just using them as a backer with the machine screw going through and a one piece nut and star washer to bolt it up tight.
Once everything was ready I got them mounted (6) and overall I am pleased with the look and function. (7)
As per my last journal entry I have delayed the engine swap process for at least another year, so I will store the V6 engine and gearbox in the garage and gradually work on cleaning, checking everything and putting all the ancillaries on etc.
So how to store and move it around if needed, as I really dont want to have to get the engine hoist out every time, looks like you can buy these but they seem very expensive and dont do both the engine and gearbox.
So being a cheap bugger I built this and will drop the engine on the front and once the gearbox is attached I can then see where to put the gearbox supports at the correct height.
Well decided that I would delay start on the V6 swap as the existing engine is running so well, but the clutch is slipping so for under $200 decided to replace the clutch and run another year.
Actually taking the motor and gearbox out was not that bad, took some time to ensure everything was disconnected and then went for it. got it out without issues other than the right hand engine mount came apart.
Already found that the starter was missing its spade connector and had the wire soldered on, so had to cut that off and will have to fix.
4 of the 6 exhaust studs snapped so another issue that will have to be resolved before it can go back.
Going to clean off as much of the caked oil/sludge etc both on the engine, gearbox and in the engine bay, not going to fully clean and paint the bay as I will have to do bay mods when the V6 goes in.
The full engine bay clean up, re-routing of wires, removal and rebuild of the heater etc will all happen with the V6 change.
Took some time last week to wash down the engine and today masked off as best I could and sprayed the engine a nice grey colour, starting to look preety good.
Thought about doing the plenum a silver colour but opted to use the same colour as the outside of the car and I think it is going to look really good overall.
Next on the list before I start rebuilding the ancillories etc is to get that snapped exhaust bolt out of the head. Damn thing snapped off in side so I cant grind a nice flat end on it so will have to be very carefull centering the drill bit. Makes me very nervous to do this.