I thought I would give you guys an update. As the subject line says, I've been blasting, painting parts and planning my next move. I've been ordering seals and parts. I hope to get my harness sometime this week, so I can finish that part of the bay and get ready for the engine to go in. In the photo you'll see I got the steering column back in as well as the newly painted fresh air and heater vents in place. I'm also waiting for the harnesses so I can run the one along the bottom and put in place with my cleaned up brackets and grommets I've ordered. I also have new grommets ordered for the gas tank and filler neck. So that as to wait too. I put a new coat of AH green paint on the Green Greenie (so purists, shield your eyes!) I'm really trying to get as much stuff as I can painted before it gets too cold in the garage to paint.
Since I don't cover the car, I'm kinda bumming that garage dirt and dust is getting on my fresh paint. I can tell I'm getting extremely tiny scratches, but I'm trying not to sweat it and keep telling myself, I'll have to buff it out anyway.
But with each refurbed or new part I put back on, I go WOW, this looks GREAT! LOL!
I've pretty much got the brake and clutch lines plumbed. I still need to finish up the clamps and stuff, but I wanted to take a photo while it was still light out, with the flash I lose the detail.
Two years ago, I bought one of the $60 Advance Auto Brake Master cylinders, while it had not given me trouble, I know they are prone to failure, so I got a rebuilt MC from Apple. I sand blasted, painted with epoxy primer, then black, the pedal bracket as well as the heater box. (The inners of the heater box are POR-15'd) Rather than buy the expensive Moss seals, I used 3/8" closed cell, door weather striping to seal the bottom of the pedal bracket and heater box to the car to prevent water ingress. $1.57 at Home Depot for 8'.
While the MC's were on the bench, I took Gerry's advice and tapped both for a 3/8" 16tpi bolt, stainless of course! I hope I don't have to take them out, but just in case, that will make it easier. BTW - the clutch MC is a new Lockheed unit I bought last time I redid the bay, two years ago.
My brake and clutch lines were in good shape so I cleaned them up and sanded them 'til they were nice and bright. I sealed them with clear coat. I also, cleaned them out with brake cleaner and blew them out with compressed air. Like last time, I plan on using silicone brake fluid.
I really like the look of the silver lines and black components in the red bay. I'm thinking about sticking with that simple color combo. We'll see! I still like my Austin Healey Green engine! lol!
I called Leslie at British Wiring last week and she has a new harness on hold for me, so that will be the next step one I'm done with the plumbing. Tonight I should get the gas line in, then move on to the gas tank or steering column or who knows what! lol!
The day finally arrived. I borrowed a trailer, loaded up my car and took it to the painter. In all the excitement I forgot to take a photo! But have attached one from the night before. I'm a little concerned the rear end is high, I hope it will settle. But it sure was nice to finally see it on wheels again. Last night I pulled the hinges and sand blasted them, the screws, and parts of the hood latch. I gave them to the paint man to be handled separately. Today, when I delivered the chassis, I got to see the work he had done on the fenders and doors. looked great. They were ready for primer. I was especially pleased with the work he had done on my RH fender, that I had trouble fitting. His filler work looked great. I can't wait to start putting it all back together. Let the fun begin!