I finally got to the point where I needed the tires on to make the inner fender wells and finish the flares. I decided to use Toyo T1R 195/45/15's on all corners. For comparison, I put a Toyo in front of the 245/45/20 Firestone on my wife's car. What a difference.
After installing the pedal assembly, I put in the steering column and a Miata seat I had. Apparently they are substantially different than stock seats because I had less room than before I started the project. I'm going to use different seats but I decided to move some of the rear sub-frame braces for more clearance.
After installing the pedal assembly, I decided to modify the HF bead roller I've had for a couple of years. Since it takes two people to operate it as it comes from the store, I decided to put a variable speed D.C. motor on it. After checking out the forums for sheet metal working, I came up with this. It should make the rest of the sheet metal work a lot easier.
Even with bracing, the brake pan seemed to have some deflection so I built a new mount assembly. I made two sets of mounting holes an inch and a quarter apart for gross adjustment and the pushrods can be adjusted for smaller amounts. I'll add the side panels and cover later.
After looking at several racing midgets, I decided to build a recessed pan for the pedal assembly. I still have to brace the pan to prevent flex, but the pedals seem to be in the right position. I wish I would have bought the shorter Tilton M/C's to get more clearance at the firewall side of the pan, but if I use banjo fittings at the back of the cylinders, there should be enough room.
I finally pulled the trigger on which pedal assembly and master cylinders to use. I called Tilton's technical department armed with all the specifications I could think of such as estimated total weight, balance, piston area, swept rotor area, pad area and a few other things. The rep just asked what kind of car and what brakes I was using. 30 seconds later, I had my answer and he said goodbye. Another example of KISS. After looking through some Grassroots Motor magazines at some of the racing Midgets, I decided to cut out a section of the top of the footwell. Next, I'll make a pan to recess in.