OK so I needed to clean up the console wiring and so I routed the hazard light harness and cigarette harness through the lower hole in the metal frame of the console on the driversâ€™ side. I wasnâ€™t sure how everything would connect up but it all seemed to work. So, despite the many other things that need doing, I decided to install my stereo.
Having reviewed the wiring diagram I planned to connect the permanent power lead to the purple wiring, the switched power to the green/pink and ground to one of the ground connectors. Using the connectors for the stereo means I need to rethink the wiring of the console light but that will take some more thinking. I wanted to check the stereo out as I bought it a while back and hadnâ€™t even plugged it in.
I used wires from my old wiring harness to match the wires I planned to connect to so that gave me the bullet connectors I would need and I used male & female connectors to join the stereo wires to the wire from the old harness. I did a quick trial run and everything worked, as soon as I remembered to turn on the ignition key, Doh! Since this worked I started to install the holding bracket and found that the hole was about 1/8th inch too small. So I opened it up a little with a Stanley knife and that worked nicely and the bracket fit. After some adjusting of wires I got the stereo to fully sit back into the bracket. Itâ€™s a tight fit and the back of the unit presses a little on the heater hoses but nothing too terrible.
Then I did some wire clean up and connected up the 6x9 speakers that I had installed into my speaker boxes and finally got to test the sounds. Sweet! A little more wire tidying up and that will do for the day.
Got some tunes installed and operational. Thereâ€™s a rats nest of wires behind there but it works.