This entry covers all repair and replacement work that I don't consider to be routine maintenance. In some cases - such as the emergency jumpering of wiring in order to get the lights working - the repair is due to malfeasance on the part of the PO. Others such as the slave/master cylinder replacements - are almost maintenance issues and may not belong in this entry.
Items on this list are things already done. New items will be added as found and fixed.
Trunk and door locks - PO had no keys for these, and the door lock inner workings were shot
Center console repair kit - almost a maintenance item, just like an oil change.... ;->
Battery - It was giving me trouble, and died completely in the parking lot of the local Napa store.
Dash liners - these were shot, and the driver's side was soaked in oil from where the PO hadn't tightened the nut on the oil pressure feed pipe
Bumper over-riders (rear) - these were missing
License plate lights - these were missing
Parking light lenses (front) - these were worn down and mounted incorrectly
Brake light/turn signal lenses (rear) - same as the front
Reverse light lenses - same as above
Complete brake job (rotors, calipers, shoes, pads, master & slave cylinders, hand brake cable, S/S hoses)
Clutch master/slave cylinders
Heater control valve - this leaked like a faucet
Wiper arm - one was missing because the PO "never drove it in the rain"
Top mounting hardware on body shell - missing completely, and holes fiber-filled at the last paint job - that "never driving in the rain" thing again....
New tops (frame, top, tonneau, cover)
Top retaining bars / cover
Horn - These were disconnected, wires cut, broken anyway; the geek in me put in new air horns
Heater motor - simple fix: the wires were dangling inside the engine compartment
Flashers - bad flasher unit
Turn signals - disconnected; had to find the right wiring and reconnect everything
Dash lights - were inoperable and dangling around underneath the dash; they work now (see the "Upgrades" entry for more on these)
A note on electrical issues: When I got the car, the headlights worked; the turn signals, flashers, running lights and brake lights did not. Okay, the right rear turn signal had been hooked up to act as a brake light but that doesn't count. The dash lights were dead as well. I should also add that the radio worked, supported by a big honking amplifier bolted inside the trunk between the two speaker holes the PO cut through the rear panel. I had to do some DPO-style emergency patchwork just to make the car safe to drive. I soldered all connections like a good boy, but this work is NOT complete. I've been going back over what I did and fixing it right.
Oct. 7 2006 - She's in the shop for a new windshield right now. It sucks to be paying somebody else to do this, but I just don't have the facilities at this time. It'll be sweet to get back home next year. Two-car garage, here I come!
This is to keep a running tab of "maintenence" work done to Blasphemer. Basically, this entry will cover work that has to be done to any car to keep it on the road. Much of this may have been done by the PO before I took ownership, but....
Adjusted valves (cold): 1,8,4,5 = .015; 2,3,6,7 = .013
Timing: 15 deg. @ 1500
Bosch Platinum plugs: .025
Points (.015, dwell 61%), condensor
New cap and rotor
Sport coil - not really needed, but the shiny chrome hit my geek button
Radiator cap - turns out that the radiator must have been dropped on its head by the PO; needs replacement
Lens gaskets (rear)
Lens gaskets (front)
Lens gaskets (reverse light)
New vacuum hoses
New belts - Dayco Cog Top
Wiper blades - Will be upgrading to Bosch 10" blades
The obligatory oil change
After a 20-year hiatus, I've gotten back into B's in a big way. I've spent the past year or so getting my sea legs and refreshing myself on these cars.
One of the things I always liked about the B is the ability to do most if not all the needed work myself. Even when they're running perfectly they're fun to tinker with.
So - What to do? I looked endlessly at the offerings in the local papers and what offerings there were, were either over-priced or rusted out - or both. Finally, I resorted to Ebay.
After a lot of "Watch This Item" auctions, I found this car and decided to bid. I knew going in that I was paying a bit more than I wanted, but the price was in the mid range of other vehicles being purchased.
Here she is: I named her "Blasphemer" simply because she is not going to be a concours car, but will instead be my fun driver. (IF I do a concours restoration, it will be of a late 50's MGA - the hardtop, not the ragtop.) Some of the work I have planned - such as cruise control - will likely have me burned at the stake by purists. Bottom line: These cars are fun, they're fantastic, and one of the strengths of the marque is that good can be made better.