Glen Towery dropped of some parts this day and although it was a very rainy day, he took the time to drive my car. He didn't say it but it looked like he was having fun. He gave me some pointers on how to improve some things, which was greatly appreciated.
It was an honor to have Glen drive my car because he helped me so much with it.
Needless to say, it was a good day!
After I started driving this car regularly (2 or 3 times a week) there was a bit of sorting out that needed to be done after each outing.
1) The air conditioner unit was drawing so much power from the ignition it tripped the ignition relay shutting down the car. Isolating the AC fixed the problem
2) Cheap fuse holder. I bought an in-line plastic fuse holder from the local car parts store and put it on the electric fans. The clear plastic fuse holder (it is for a glass type fuse) melted shutting off the cooling fans. Fortunately I was close to home. I replaced the fuse holder with one from an old MGB wire harness and it has held up beautifully.
3) Filling up the cooling system with antifreeze to the top of the in-line hose filler resulted in an antifreeze dump all over the road when the engine reached operating temperature and the thermostat opened up. I tried a higher pound cap but that didn't help. Overheating was never a problem, so I stopped filling it up and let it find its own level. Problem solved.
4) The oil pressure activated switch for the fuel pump would shut off when the car idled for a short period of time. Bleeding the oil line to the switch and the sensor for the oil pressure gauge solved the problem. Of course I had to do it twice to get it right, but getting rid of the air in the line (which can compress and allow the switch to cycle off) was the solution.
A new steering wheel completes the interior.
Door panels were on a budget too. The old panels were used to cut new ones from fiber board (Home Depot) and vinyl and some quilt batting from the local fabric shop was installed with cup-washers and screws. Other interior panels were made the same way.
Leather Miata seats from an early year Miata almost bolt right in. They were cheaper than re-covering the stock MGB seats with the Moss kit in vinyl, and they are more comfortable. A win/win situation.
After removing the Miata seat belt receivers, I could use the front stock MGB mounting bolts and captive nuts but had to drill two holes for the rear mounting bolts.
The rear mounting points were drilled through some pretty thin metal so I welded large flat washers on the top and backed them underneath with backing plates that went between both rear bolts.
Super lite wheels 15 X 6 with Bridgestone RE960AS 205/65/15 tires were fitted.
The 65 profile tires were used to get a little lower RPM at speed. That combined with the MGB stock rear end and 0.65 5th gear ratio on the T5 transmission translates into about 2000 RPM at 65 MPH, which is very comfortable. Plus there is plenty of torque to spin the rear wheels in 1st or 2nd gear (and probably 3rd if I was willing to abuse it).
The rear end is a stock MGB steel wheel tube type rear end. No spacers were required. The wheels sit in the middle of the wheel well and don't rub inside or out. The rear wheel wells were flared only slightly but didn't need to be to fit the tires.
The front tires just touch the header coming through the wheel well when the steering is to full lock, but it hasn't been an issue.